emphasis of the course goes here.
Any secondary goals go here.
When & Where
Time: 08:00 Saturday to 16:00 Sunday
Park NamePark Home PageAddress, City ZipPark Information: Synopsis history or what's special
(Extra info her if official address is different from where we will be)
$x.00 per vehicle / day at the Ranger Station lot or link to Gate Pass
Notes: Parking or other park-specific info
Weather General weather expected
the gadget below to get you to the approximate location; the address in
the box differs from the official address, but it will get you closer
to where you want to be. When you get near the park, watch for the
signs for the park, and go to the Park Lot at the main entrance.
More information on the park, its trails and the surrounding area is available at the Bay Area Hiker site.
There is also a topo map of the area.
- Elements of a SAR base camp
- Radio fundamentals
- Basic navigation techniques
- Beginning SAR techniques (hasty search and carry-out)
- Basic knots
- Important Plants (Friend and Foe)
Equipment List For Course
- Day Pack / Book Bag
- Sleeping Pad / Bag
appropriate for cold, strenuous hiking and rain, such as rain
jacket/poncho, sweatshirt, jacket, 2+ pairs of socks (wool or synthetic
preferred), 2+ T-shirts, long sleeved shirt, 2 pair pants (1 light/1
- Note: Many light layers of clothes are preferred to a few layers of heavy clothing.
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap
- Personal Meds (if needed)
- Sturdy bowl, cup, and spoon. Pocket knife optional but highly recommended.
- Enough food for two lunches and snacks. Lunches should be able to be eaten on the go. Dinner and breakfast will be provided.
you already have a backpacking stove, feel free to bring it along and
use it, meals will be a group activity and will be a good opportunity for everyone to share ideas and demo equipment and techniques.
- At least two bottles of water (filled to the top) and/or CamelBack-style bladder.
- Headlamp, or small flashlight.
- Extra items:
- Wool or Synthetic Stocking Cap or Balaclava
- Neckerchief and/or Microfiber Towel
- You should also bring along a bag or duffel for all of the above, it will be transported into the camping site for you.
Click here to login and access training materials and course notes.
Comments? Questions? Problems?